||Welcome to the home of FATE, the user-friendly Freehand Adaptive Terrain Editor!
This piece of software is meant as an easy-to-understand alternative to EasyGen,
another editor for creating virtual landscapes, e.g. terrain surfaces in maps for Enemy Territory
(one of the best games ever, developed by SplashDamage).
Here is a short list of the current features of FATE:
- Create terrain of unlimited size and arbitrary resolution.
- Easy deformation with a variety of basis shapes along z axis, surface normal, in x/y plane or local tangent plane.
- Plugin support for your own basis shape functions.
- Simple definition of deformed region via radius or freehand outline.
- Manual and numerical control over deformation amplitude.
- Twentyfold undo of deformations.
- Six predefined camera perspectives and two camera navigation modes (switch by hitting the right mouse button).
- Export of terrain surface to ET compatible terrain of arbitrary thickness.
- Automatic creation of shader files for distortionless texturing of steep hills and cliffs.
Features that will be implemented in the near and not so near future:
- Simplification of terrain geometry (less triangles without visible loss in quality).
- Smoothing of rough terrain meshes.
- Improved shader creation with better support for dot product and alpha blending.
- Multi-layered terrain textures.
- Import of brush geometry.
- Improved export functionality, e.g. thick meshes or automatic generation of structural VIS blocking structures.